Website design and development seems so complicated; it’s a task for the professionals. While this is certainly the case with some websites, it’s no longer true across the board. If you have been thinking about hiring a web design company to build your website, consider this – it’s now easier than ever to build your own. Now, don’t expect to be creating incredibly complex or customised sites straight of the bat (a lot of the time ecommerce web development is still best left to the professionals), however simple websites are very much achievable. And just because they are simple doesn’t mean they won’t meet your needs or be any good – some of the best websites are very simple in terms of design.
So why should you have a crack at building your own website? Well, here are five reasons that might convince you:
1. You can work at your own pace. You’re your own boss, so you can work as quickly or slowly as you like (spare time permitting). There’s no pressure to make decisions by a certain date (which you’ll probably have to do if you hire a professional developers for ecommerce sites, as they’ll want design approval etc.), and you can therefore work on pages until you’re happy with them.
2. You’ve got nothing to lose. Except for wasting your spare time (I know, that’s actually a big thing for some people!). However, in terms of money you’re safe – even if you create a website you don’t like, you haven’t paid anyone a cent to build it. You may have to outlay a small amount of money depending on the platform you choose to build with (some platforms charge for using templates etc.), however these fees come at a fraction of the cost compared to getting a site built for you.
3. Plenty of support. When you build using a popular platform such as WordPress, there’s plenty of help and support out there – including very useful tutorials. If you’re stuck, it’s never hard to find help online – so many people have done it all before! Additionally, a lot of website building platforms offer their own ‘help service’ which is very useful.
4. Changes are relatively easy. Decide you don’t like something? No worries – just change it yourself! Making changes when you’ve hired an agency can be painful, as they won’t always oblige. Also, if you want to make changes in the future they can’t help you – and you might have no idea how to alter the site if it’s quite complicated. When you build a site yourself, you know the platform and you know the site. Making changes will never be an issue.
5. Learn a new skill. We never stop learning, and it’s great to acquire new skills. Adding ‘website designer/developer’ to your skills list is great, and the skills you acquire will help you out long term – for example, when you need to make changes to your site (as mentioned above). Furthermore, DIY website design and development can be fun – and you get the satisfaction of being able to say, “I built it myself!”
When it comes to building your own website, one thing you do need to consider is time. How much time do you have to spare and how soon do you need your site built? If these figures don’t add up, then you might be better off going through an agency. If you do require professional help, you’re in luck; there are many great agencies around in this day and age. Whether you’re searching for a web designers in Australia certified & expreinced agency, you’ll be spoilt for choice – just make sure you speak to a few before making a decision!